Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Romance Was Born

Romance Was Born


If you know me then you know the love i have for beautiful dresses...
(vintage chiffon dreamboats, kitschy handmade party dresses covered in kiss prints, floorlength black mourning gowns, velvet Audrey Horne attire, pastel cotton day dresses, see through silk slips, lace trimmed sleeves, rhinestone buttoned wriggle dresses...and the list goes on...)
so i was over the moon when recently commissioned to create a set of five illustrations for thevine.com.au , to coincide with Rosemount Australian Fashion Week. Luckily having been able to attend a small selection of shows, inspiration was already abundant.
First up is Romance Was Born, one of Australia's most unique fashion labels, manned by Luke Sales and Anna Plunkett. Their latest collection is a zany acid tinted romp through prehistoric jungles. (i spy a volcano dress!) The gem clustered, paint splattered, triceratops inspired collection certainly is a revelation for the wardrobe and i'm very much a fan.

p.s. Each thursday during the month of june, thevine.com.au will reveal a new fashion week illustration of mine.
keep your eyes peeled!


+
p.p.p.s. in other news, i completely forgot to mention that my paintings featured in the Disband exhibition are now available for sale HERE at leeloo.com.au.

23 comments:

  1. I was at this show and I absolutely loved it. It was so entertaining and the pieces were really vibrant and dramatic.

    I am also loving your illustrations, you have brought something new and great to the look. amazing work x

    www.organicfairybread.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. chloe- lucky you!
    i'd kill to be able to see one of their shows.
    i especially wish i could rewind to last year to see their seashell/mermaid/mother of pearl collection.
    thanks, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore your work so much! are some of your t-shirts still availible? :)

    http://illustratemypillowcase.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello miss pillowcase,

    thanks for the sweet comment.
    In reply to your question -
    i will have a selection of t-shirts available in my new etsy shop www.CaitlinShearer.etsy.com in about a month. Otherwise, you can always purchase them directly from redbubble,:
    http://www.redbubble.com/people/caitlinshearer/t-shirts

    x caitlin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great Caitlin! I love this!!

    Gaby xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Goodness me too! Soo pretty and whimsical - I think I just love everything they do. I just hope that one day I'll be able to afford them, haha.

    Also, congrats for the job with The Vine x

    ReplyDelete
  7. chloe- i'm in the same boat. it'd be great to go to a party with one of their dresses on. you'd grab all attention in the room.

    & thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Simply gorgeous, I absolutely love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats Caitlin on getting commissioned! Your work is always lovely can't wait to see the other 4! Now if only that dress would pop out of the drawing and on to me...

    KeepItFvncy,
    M.E.

    ReplyDelete
  10. UUUuuuuum this is amazing. And ridiculously perfect timing. I am relaunching my Etsy shop on Friday morning and it is stocked with magenta, hot pink, grey, and clear gigantic crystal necklaces. I am posting about your painting on my blog RIGHT now. Go check it out to see a peek at how my jewelry and your painting look perfect together! Eek!
    http://bit.ly/bJpTTC

    <3 Moorea

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing <3 amazing <3

    so amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic illustraion.I love Romance Was Born,they totally rock!

    ReplyDelete
  13. congrats! This illustration is breath taking!!

    Sarah
    theantiquepearl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my gosh, I love that dress! So gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was obsessed with dinosaurs as a little kid. As well as with space exploration photos and paper dolls.
    I miss your analogue photo posts!
    And some secret sketchbook ones
    Ive recently started blogging too, dear
    Love xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. I absolutely love your work!! Congrats on all the exciting things happening. You deserve it :]

    ReplyDelete
  17. nice to sea some crystals blossoming! strange because, in my email to you, i mentioned that i like crystals for an idea.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm way into the crystals on her back.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is SO good Caitlin! I miss you lots already and I got all sad and teary on the train. Also, I saw Anna Plunkett the other day at Central and she is SO radical looking!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh Caitlin you lucky girl, this is amazing!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is gorgeous, I love the dinosaur hat! This is very exciting, I can't wait to see what else you come up with.

    ~Pearl

    theskytheykeep.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. love the illustation and the dress is well cool i want to wear it love the colours

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to read my blog! I would love to know what you think.