Saturday, February 19, 2011

brunette bubblecut barbie goes to the beach

brunette bubblecut barbie goes to the beach

One of my favourite books as a kid was The Collectible Barbie Doll by Janine fennick. Meant for adult collectors of barbie, it explained the values, patent pending labels and overseas versions of a majority of the barbie dolls ever produced. But me, i didn't mind so much about that because the book also included hundreds of pictures depicting barbie through the ages and all the personas she took on (teacher, astronaut, olympian, chanteuse, ballerina, firefighter...), as well as all her friends, family, accessories and clothes. I used to stare at the book for hours and hours and hours (the Bob Mackie Queen of Hearts barbie was my favourite!) and i guess that petite little lady never left my heart. Here is a brunette version of miss barbie in a bikini version of her classic swimsuit, which i whipped up last sunday whilst waiting for another painting to dry.

9 comments:

  1. Barbie will always have a special place in my heart as well. And that childhood book of yours sounds enchanting(just like this pretty painting!). Wonderful work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a red version of that swimsuit, the top is halterneck though <3

    I utterly adore this paitning of your caitlin, she's super cute, and your style is drool worthy

    ReplyDelete
  3. loving the striped swimsuit! looks like mine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel like this is very timely, due to the official 'get back together' of Ken and Barbie this Valentine's day...I used to have a red haired, blue eyed Barbie named Amber. I can envision her wearing this ensemble as well ;)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that swimsuit and those glasses! I think my Barbie had a pair of those specs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my god I love this!! So vintage Barbie, 50's beach side, just heavenly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Um... holy shit, you are amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to read my blog! I would love to know what you think.