Saturday, February 11, 2012

Behind the scenes with Kelsey Genna

Last Thursday i had the pleasure of catching up with my beautiful pal, Kelsey Genna, on the day of her Valentines collection shoot. I snapped over three hundred photos, some of which i'm sharing here. Never having been to a photo shoot before, it was quite an exciting experience. Bright lights, cameras, makeup! Such a world away from what i'm used to - solitude and sheets of white paper.

Kelsey's new collection, which was released to coincide with Valentines day, is akin to a box of bon-bons - a fanciful assortment of romantic dresses in red, white and pink - ruffled, studded with flowers and unabashedly girly. I've already got my heart set on the red rose dress - it's just divine!

Kelsey is visiting Sydney for two weeks to show at Fashion Exposed and we've been enjoying high tea, strolling through the botanic gardens, gushing over poodle sequinned blouses in the miu miu store, losing gold coins on skill tester video games and having a wonderful time.
I admire Kelsey so much -as a young fashion designer she runs her own label from home in New Zealand, (handcrafts each piece to fit the wearer) and top top things off, is incredibly sweet and enchanting. If you aren't already in love with this girl, then hop on over to her website, where you can view the valentines dress collection in it's entirety and maybe even purchase one! I'm sure in these dresses you'll no doubt be able to capture the hearts of many.

p.s. The studio where we shot at even had it's own resident kittens! I think i got a bit carried away chasing them around the studio, trying to do my best 'cat whispering'. (Wish i could remember what breed they were - alas, my memory fails me.)


























26 comments:

  1. These are so lovely! And how nice that the kittens got involved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh, I hadn't realized they were photographed in Sydney! <3 I love each and every piece; especially the beautiful rosebud dress! And goodness, the kittens are adorable - their eyes are enormous!

    x
    Lost in the Haze: Fashion Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the quality of light... and the dresses are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely photo shoot to be a part of. The colors are lovely and that kitty is so sweet x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the floral dress she is wearing. And she has my haircut soi could totally see myself wearing it. Lovely photographs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. THOSE KITTENS!! My heart is melting. Such beautiful dresses, I love each and every one x Katie-Louise

    ReplyDelete
  7. These designs are gorgeous! And so you are you lovely ladies. And I can't believe you got the kitties to pose for you. Wish I could get mine to do that.

    And that red dress in particular--gimmie!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh these are lovely! And those kittens are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love love love love LOVE Kelsey Genna. Everything she makes is so breathtakingly beautiful. Oh, how I wish I could afford to buy just one of her pretty dresses. If she ever runs a sample sale I will be all over it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful photos, that red dress is gorgeous. Please tell me you stole one of the kittens? what breed are they?! x

    ReplyDelete
  11. lovely photos! Beautiful model and kitties! <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm in love with both the gingham and roses dresses, so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Caitlin these photos are just beautiful! The dresses and the kittens and the flowers, oh my!

    Gaby xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh my gosh those kittens are darling!!



    http://decodollies.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such huge and sad cat eyes! I'm in love.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm just going to echo what everyone else has already said: The dresses! The kitties! The flowers! Her hair! Everything is so beautiful. That's so admirable that she's so young and has such a wonderful label!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, those dresses are so pretty. AND THOSE KITTIES!!!! <3
    but do you happen to know where the white dress with the pink&green flowers that Kelsey Genna (I presume it's her) is wearing is from? It's beyond gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks everyone!

    Gloria - I've got a feeling Kelsey's dress is vintage.

    ReplyDelete
  19. cute cats!

    the model is stunning

    the photos are brilliant and look fun!

    xo katrina
    theyoungbridgetjones.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, there are so amazing and beautiful photos! <3

    ReplyDelete
  21. the kittens are the most sweetest little creatures i've ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh I just adore this! The dresses, the colors, the spirit of Valentines Day, and the kitten make it so perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Omg I've fallen deeply in love with the rose dress! ITS DIVINE!

    <3 Sarah
    theantiquepearl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. amazing photoshoot, love the hair style
    http://adoramehitabel.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to read my blog! I would love to know what you think.