Thursday, June 28, 2012

Lana Del Rey

A little tribute to the glorious miss Lana Del Rey and her melodies that make me think of lovelorn ingenues and 1960's hotel entertainers in sequinned dresses drowning their sorrows in champagne.
Love her or hate her, i am utterly fascinated by the split personality of Lana Del Rey- the showstopping glamour queen taking over the world - and Lizzy Grant - the guitar strumming woman behind the public facade. A change of name and a supposed delinquent past  (her old songs give major Lolita/Daddy issue vibes and are about trailer parks, gas stations, drinking and guys in motels) paired with controversy about her lips, her past, her private life - for me it all calls upon Marilyn Monroe and some of the scenarios that too occurred in her career. (Norma Jean Mortensen Vs. Marilyn Monroe.)
I've amassed a pretty good selection of her rare tunes and often listen to them whilst painting. One of her was bound to happen sooner or later!
('Yayo' is particularly good - have a listen if you're not yet convinced and perhaps it'll change your mind.)

p.s. Lately Lana has been rocking an amazing bouffant a-la Priscilla Presley circa 1960's, so i suppose i'll have to take a shot at drawing that too.
p.s. i'm crazy for the super talon manicures she gets. so great.


18 comments:

  1. eeep!
    this is seriously amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did such an incredible job capturing her Caitlin! I love how you can totally tell it's her but with your own style :'3 I'm off to listen to Yayo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Kailey! Hope you enjoyed your listen. :)

      Delete
  3. This is stunning, so beautiful and an uncanny resemblance!

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful drawing, i only have to point out a thing: you made her lips way too... uh..normal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. naw, i don't think her lips are that insanely puffy. She's got a cute pout.

      Delete
  5. This is so beautiful! You are so darn talented girl!

    ♥Sarah♥
    theantiquepearl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous work.
    I too love Miss Del Rey :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. How interesting to see this from you Caitlin! I've been listening to Lana non-stop recently whilst painting too, utterly enthralled by her. A gorgeous dedication to her, your style suits her.

    loving that you love her too, big kisses

    ReplyDelete
  8. SO SO Gorgeous! Loving your recent work so much! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing! That looks so fab Caitlin :)

    I share your Lana love. Sadly, I can't get my nails talonesque enough for her manis... oh but I wish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ellen!

      a few months ago I gave myself a gel manicure and filed them to long talons, inspired by lana obviously, but you can't do anything with nails that long! No typing, house cleaning, sorting through clothes... they just get in the way and mine all ended up breaking because i use my hands too much. guess you gotta be idle and have a maid if you want to get around with snazzy nails.

      Delete
    2. I'm sensing that Lana doesn't suffer from a lack of help. Those double rings she wears also don't look hugely practical, and she has a jeweller make them for her.

      Have you seen the film clip for National Anthem yet? I'm in love with it, but I guess some people aren't huge fans of her pretending to be Miss Munroe and Jackie O. The scandal.

      Delete
    3. yes, i've seen it! I'm a bit undecided really - so much thigh grabbing and awkward dancing - i preferred the scenes with her sitting with the taxidermy rug and at the dinner table - but i just can't tell if it's overstepping the mark or a little crass - the idea, that is. Perhaps if i was American i could make my mind up in regards to the Kennedy thing, but i do like her Marilyn tribute.

      Delete
  10. Haha yeah the awkward dancing was awkward. I'm more in love with all those happy family sitting in the garden together and eating cake scenes. Also, her white swimsuit... where do I get me one of those? I guess it's hard for our generation to truly grasp the significance of the JFK shooting...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. agreed!

      are you seeing her gig at the enmore in late july by any chance? if so, see you there!

      Delete
  11. Sadly not. I didn't get organised enough to get tickets. Ah well...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to read my blog! I would love to know what you think.